Half way through my allotted time for Bible Reading and Prayer this morning, I was reading emails and posting on Facebook from my iPad. My Bible, prayer journal and pen, and my “Morning & Evening” devotional book by Charles Spurgeon lay beside me…unopened.
Once again I had been lured away from spending that first hour or two of the day with my God in prayer and reading the Word.
Half, yes, HALF of my precious time was gone! I’d wasted it on frivolous things, seeing who was ‘following’ me, who wanted to ‘like’ me or comment on a post I wrote, or who ‘desperately’ needed an email response from me right now!
Me. Me. Me. All me, and not a thought for my God… Groan.
O Father in Heaven, I am so guilty of breaking Your first commandment, of putting other things (gods) before you in my heart and mind. Why did they seem so important?
I want to love You and serve You and obey You with ALL my heart. O please forgive me. Cleanse my heart and mind of worldliness and selfishness and glory-seeking. May I not presume on Your grace and mercy and love. They are so precious to me. I thank You for grace and for forgiveness which was bought for me with the blood and death on the cross of your precious Son, Jesus.
And yet, I keep sinning this way, putting other things (self) before You in my heart and mind. I’m acting as if Your Word were only there “in case of emergency” or to read “if I have extra time.” But I love You! I love your Word! I hate that I am so easily lured away.
Father, use the Sword of the Spirit (Your Word) to prick and slice and stab me when I seek other things before and besides You. Remind me that without You I am lost. Without Your Word I am adrift with no way to hear Your Voice.
- “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” ~~~ 1 John 2:15
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” ~~~ Matthew 22:37
- “I love you, O Lord, my strength!” ~~~ Psalm 18:1
- “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things!” ~~~ Psalm 119.37
- “I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes. ” ~~~ Psalm 119:48
- “(My) delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law (I will) meditate day and night.” ~~~ Psalm 1:2
- “O God, You are my God; early will I seek you…” “My soul will be satisfied… when I remember you upon my bed and meditate on you in the watches of the night.” ~~~ Psalm 63, 1, 5-6